Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Vivian Goes to Vienna

Vienna is a very beautiful city! I spent two days here but unfortunately it rained yesterday so I couldn't do much sightseeing. I visited two of the palaces, Schloss Schonbrunn, which apparently is second to Versailles, and Hofburg Palace. Schloss Schonbrunn is ridiculously huge. There's a garden that takes 15 minutes to cut through to get to the palace. There's also a zoo and a labyrinth, which is kind of odd... Hofburg Palace is huge as well but it is in the city center so it's not isolated as Schonbrunn. As if both palaces aren't grand enough, they're doing construction on them. Austria needs to be investing more money in keeping kids safe (apparently they have one of the highest kidnapping rates per capita) instead of this. I strolled through the city center and was pleasantly surprised at how amazing the architecture is. My only complaint is that they had way too many McDonald's, Burger King's, and Starbucks. They even had a Forever 21 and a Foot Locker. Seriously, when I visit a European capital, the last thing I want to see is some American store.
Overall, I think Vienna is an amazing city but it doesn't have much that appeals to me. Vienna is a city that mostly offers fine arts, such as theater, music, etc., which I could care less about.

Schonbrunn Gardens

 Backyard of Schloss Schonbrunn (Schonbrunn Palace)



 Back of Schloss Schonbrunn



 Front of Schloss Schonbrunn


 Sachertorte from Sacher Cafe -- definitely a must in Vienna

 Vienna Opera House

 Vienna City Center -- what European capital wouldn't be complete with a McDonalds and Burger King?



 Mozart's House

Quite possibly the best gimmick for money that I've ever seen


 St. Stephen's Cathedral


 Hofburg Palace





 City Hall

 Parliament Building


 Kunst History Museum

Natural History Museum

No comments:

Post a Comment