Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Vivian Goes to Venice

What an incredible city! I arrived in Venice on Tuesday night and spent all of Wednesday exploring the city. The Grand Canal flows through the entire city and there are many small canals as well. It's pretty awesome how transport is completely done by boat. Even the ambulances are boats. There are no cars allowed on Venice island past the bus depot. I walked everywhere since the city is pretty small. Of course, like everyone else, I was lost most of the time. Maps of Venice do not have every street labeled and a lot of the streets have no street signs. Apparently, Venice is the place where you're supposed to get lost because you end up finding some beautiful place. I visited the famous churches and some monuments. There really is not much to see other than the canals and the churches.

I stayed in a hostel right off the Grand Canal. Unfortunately, finding accommodation in Venice is the biggest pain and it is EXPENSIVE. It is a pretty nice hostel but the biggest problem is the mosquito infestation. I absolutely LOATHE mosquitoes but for some odd reason they can't get enough of me. In two nights, I have acquired at least 20 bites all over my body. Luckily, I read about this beforehand and brought hydrocortisone with me.

Sorry for not labeling the pictures. I don't really know the names of all the churches and whatnot. Just enjoy the sights. :)

Grand Canal














Gondola -- 80-200 Euros for a ride... definitely passed on that

Rialto Bridge






 St. Mark's Basicilla














I saw only one McDonalds in Venice... this is probably why



 
 Santa Maria della Salute









No comments:

Post a Comment